As much as you hope that your child will never suffer from a serious medical issue, it happens. When it does, financially supporting that child’s needs along with the needs of any other children you have may seem an impossible task. Thankfully, in Pennsylvania a child support order can be modified when circumstances change. A child suffering a medical issue generally meets the necessary qualifications.

Accidents and illness are an unfortunate reality in this life. While for the vast majority of people the outcomes are not severe, for others these things can have life-changing effects. It is not always possible to be financially prepared for something like that.

If a medical problem is severe or is something that will have long-term effects that will change a child’s needs, you can file a petition in court in order to seek a support adjustment. In order for such a request to even be considered, you will have to show proof of the change in circumstance experienced. In cases of medical need, this can be done with medical records and financial statements.

Unfortunately, whether one resides in Pennsylvania or elsewhere, when seeking a child support modification there are no guarantees that the adjustment request will be approved, even with proof of financial need. But you won’t know until you take the leap and file the necessary petition. An experienced family law attorney can assist you in your fight to seek increased support from a noncustodial parent. To learn how, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.