Family Legal Center, LLC
Comprehensive Family Law, Probate and Estate Planning Services.
Call us at : 412-843-0957
Menu Contact

How to collect child support from a parent living out of state

Relocation for employment or other personal needs is a part of life for a lot of people. While that may be so, when a noncustodial parent moves out of state, it can make collecting child support a bit of a challenge. However, enforcement options are available to assist custodial parents in Pennsylvania in obtaining the ordered support.

If a noncustodial parent moves out of state and stops making his or her child support payments, what can the custodial parent do to rectify the situation? He or she can turn to the support enforcement agency in the noncustodial parent's new home state for help. This cannot be accomplished by making a simple phone call, however.

In order to receive enforcement assistance from another state, a petition will first have to be filed in Pennsylvania by the custodial parent. If the petition is approved, the noncustodial parent's new state of residence will then be able to get involved. Enforcement options in other states are similar to those offered in Pennsylvania. Examples include:

  • Passport denial
  • Personal or professional license suspension
  • Wage garnishment
  • Credit reporting

Making an out-of-state move does not release a noncustodial parent from his or her child support obligation. Custodial parents in Pennsylvania who are struggling to collect the funds owed to them can seek legal assistance in pursing different enforcement options and/or requesting order modifications. While this is a fight that can take some time, ensuring one's child has the economic support he or she needs can make it worth the effort.

Source:, "Pennsylvania Child Support Program: The Noncustodial Parent Is Living In Another State", Accessed on April 10, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response

4372 Old William Penn Highway
Monroeville, PA 15146

Toll Free: 877-855-1067
Phone: 412-843-0957
Fax: 412-824-0707
Monroeville Law Office Map