Family Legal Center logo

Comprehensive Probate and Estate Planning Services.

Call us at : 412-843-0957

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We Listen With Compassion

We Listen With Compassion

Withholding child support for more visitation is a poor decision

On Behalf of | Dec 22, 2016 | Child Support |

Following the divorce, you may be adjusting to a lot of changes. You may not get to see your children as often as you would like. If your ex-spouse was granted custody, you are probably paying child support payments mandated by a Pennsylvania court. However, because your ex-spouse has been uncooperative about your scheduled time with your children, you may be considering holding off on your regular support payments.

At this time of year, making those payments may be difficult. You want to buy gifts and enjoy the holidays. Maybe work is slow, and you aren’t getting the hours you used to. You may believe that by not paying your ex-spouse, you are teaching him or her a lesson. If you withhold the payments, maybe your ex will be more generous in allowing the children to spend time with you.

There are many problems with this course of action. First of all is the underlying principal that, although the payments go to your ex, the money is actually to benefit your children. If you refuse to pay, you are denying them the things they need to live a normal life. Secondly, if you refuse to make the court-ordered payments, you may find yourself in serious trouble. The amount you owe continues to accumulate with interest, and the court may take actions such as garnishing your wages or even sending you to jail.

The final thing to consider is that you have legal recourse if your ex is not abiding by the court’s order for parenting time. By consulting an attorney, you can get assistance with your child support and custody issues. You may even be able to apply for a modification of your support payments if you are suffering a hardship. Contacting a Pennsylvania attorney for help will provide much more positive results than taking the matter into your own hands.


  • Top-Rated-Lawyers-badge
  • Av-Peer-Review-badge
  • AVVO-badge
  • AVVO-Laura-Cohen-badge
  • Best Estate Planners in PittsburghSuper Lawyers Laura Cohen