Family Legal Center, LLC
Comprehensive Collaborative, Probate and Estate Planning Services.
Call us at : 412-843-0957
Menu Contact

Can my child's other parent move out of state?

Child custody disputes don't just happen when a couple gets divorced. They can arise even after the divorce decree has been issued. One thing when dealing with child custody that is often contested is when one parent wants to relocate with the children. Can one parent simply move out of state when the other parent has a court order for visitation?

The answer depends on the parents. In some instances, the parents may agree together for one parent to move to another state as long as the children are still available for the other parent's visitation. However, in other cases, the parent wishing to move may need to seek the court's approval for the relocation.

At the Family Legal Center, LLC., we represent parents who wish to relocate and those who wish to keep a relocation from occurring. Recently, the laws in Pennsylvania have changed and it is now more difficult for one parent to move to another state with the children. The courts want both parents to have time with their children.

You need a custody plan that will meet the specific needs of you and your children. We advise you of your rights and what your legal options are. We advocate for our clients on issues of relocation; however, it's important to remember that the courts in Pennsylvania will always want to rule on what is in the child's best interests.

If you need help to stop your child's other parent from relocating or want to start fresh in another location, we can help. Take a look at our webpages on child custody and visitation to learn more.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response

4372 Old William Penn Highway
Monroeville, PA 15146

Toll Free: 877-855-1067
Phone: 412-843-0957
Fax: 412-824-0707
Monroeville Law Office Map