Family Legal Center, LLC
Comprehensive Collaborative, Probate and Estate Planning Services.
Call us at : 412-843-0957
Menu Contact

How can I get a child support order in Pennsylvania changed?

When you and your child's other parent no longer live together, you might have to pay child support for your child if the other parent has custody of the child. In Pennsylvania, child support is ordered through the court. There might be some instances in which a parent might feel a child support order is incorrect or that it should be modified. Knowing when you can file an appeal or request a modification might help ensure you are paying a fair amount for child support.

When can I appeal a child support order?

A child support order can be appealed within 20 days of the issuance of the order or notification of the order, whichever is first. The appeal has to be filed in the county in which the order was issued. That doesn't give you much time to get things together for your appeal or to learn how to file an appeal, so working with someone familiar with child support appeals might help.

What if I need to get a child support order changed after 20 days have passed?

There are some instances in which you might be able to get a child support order modified. Some examples include a significant change in income, a substantial change in your circumstances, or an agreement reached privately between you and your child's other parent. The death of a spouse or child, the emancipation of a child, or special needs of a child might also warrant a petition for a modification of a child support order.

As you can see, it can be difficult to keep up with what situations should be handled in which way for child support. Since you are responsible for making payments on time even if you think the order is incorrect or should be modified, you should act quickly to ensure you only pay what is fair and just.

Source: Pennsylvania Child Support Program, "Child Support Orders" Nov. 24, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response

4372 Old William Penn Highway
Monroeville, PA 15146

Toll Free: 877-855-1067
Phone: 412-843-0957
Fax: 412-824-0707
Monroeville Law Office Map